- Fuel Cell R&D funding for Motorhomes
Mon, Nov 6th 2017
- New: Sinclair Motorhome Air conditioning
Wed, Oct 11th 2017
- Why Mobile Satellite Internet is so useful
Tue, Oct 3rd 2017
- Five benefits of Cruise Control Kits
Tue, Oct 3rd 2017
- Five Reasons to Get Mobile Satellite Internet
Mon, Aug 7th 2017
- The Benefits of Performance Chips for Trucks
Fri, Jul 14th 2017
- Low cost, High Power Vehicle Air Conditioning
Fri, Jun 30th 2017
- Clark Mast, EP Hydraulics and One Huge Window!
Tue, Jun 27th 2017
- STEINBAUER Performance for Agricultural Machinery
Wed, Jun 7th 2017
Cruise Control - Ford Ranger 2001-2007
Vehicle Specific Cruise Control for Ford Ranger 2001-2007
- TUV Tested and approved
- Choice of command modules
- Installation service by Conrad Anderson or experienced mechanic with 12v electrical and fabrication skills
- For Manual or Automatic gearboxes.
Relative difficulty rating:
- Average installation time - 5 hours +
- Physical accessibilty - Challenging
- Wiring accessibility - Challenging
- Setup -
- This vehicle requires a clutch switch and is included in the displayed price
- If your vehicle is used for towing a caravan the system may need some extra setting up to adjust for the extra weight during acceleration.
Cruise control is a very useful product for driver comfort and safety of the vehicle and passengers, in our view, everyone should have one. So the next question is "how do you go about purchasing and installing one?"
Conrad Anderson offer a professional fitting service at our headquarters in Birmingham. Generally cruise controls take around 2-6 hours to install depending on the vehicle make, model and year. Some vehicles can take longer depending on the physical & electronic accessibility.
This cruise control solution for the Ford Ranger 2001-2007 is an Electro Mechanical Cruise control system - operates a cable, which pulls the pedal or the throttle quadrant on the engine.
In the box
Cruise control computer
Computer wiring loom - for power and vehicle speed pulse, brake switch & clutch switch.
GC55 Actuator with fitting kit
Command module - GC3 standard stalk, with option at purchase to have GC5
Cruise control safety features:
- Cruise control must detect resistance across the brake circuit before operation can commence - if the brake lights or brake switch is faulty the cruise will not work.
- If the the speed increases or decreases more than 15% of the set speed during operation the cruise control will automatically deactivate e.g. If driving up a steep hill and the vehicle cannot maintain the set speed in the current gear.
- Deactivation when brake is applied.
- Deactivation when clutch is applied.
General installation process
This Cruise control solution is mechanical and requires the fabrication of a bracket connected to the throttle pedal. All equipment is supplied but the bracketry will need to be adjusted for the vehicle requirements. We recommend that this installation is only undertaken by an experienced mechanic.
The access required is under the dashboard & steering column and the engine compartment - remove the knee-trim, steering column cowling and open the bonnet.
Under the bonnet:
Mount the actuator unit - take care that it is away from any moving or parts of the engine which are likely to get hot.
Run the actuator cables (mechanical and electrical) through the bulkhead to the dashboard compartment.
Under the dash:
Assess the throttle pedal for bracketry configuration ensuring enough travel for the full throttle range and a separate mounting point for the cable bracket - making sure that the cable pulls the throttle pedal straight.
Adjust/fabricate the required bracketry.
Fix the cable into position.
Use soldered joints for the +ve, earth, brake switch, clutch switch and speed signal connections.
Install the command module to the steering column cowling - make sure you mark where the best position is before the trim is removed. Run the cabling and connect into the main computer loom.
The setup procedure does not require any extra equipment and takes around 30 minutes. This consists of:
Static diagnostic - to check the electrical connections and the mechanical cable connections.
Speed pulse setup - Allows the cruise control to learn the speed pulse rate and calibrate the system.
Sensitivity and Acceleration - Adjusts the rate of acceleration and the accurate maintenance of the set speed.
Command module functions
GC3 is the basic stalk included in the product price. This includes all the basic functions
Set current speed
Increase and decrease speed
Coast - deactivates cruise (brake and clutch pedal will do the same)
Resume - re activates the cruise at the previous speed
The alternative command modules include all of these functions with additional preset speed memory buttons. These speeds can be changed at any time but are non-volatile, so they remain set even after the ignition is turned off.
GC4 - 2 preset memories
GC5 - 3 preset memories (new design)
Command module installation
The stalk command modules are bolted to the steering column cowling with the wiring running through the centre of the hollow mounting bolt to the main computer wiring loom. The wires are supplied non-terminated to allow them to be run through the drilled cowling, the connector is then connected to the pre-pinned cables. Care must be taken to mount the module in a location with enough space to the rear of the cowling for the securing nut and flanged washer, the final position of the stalk is adjustable using the integral ball joint.
The diagnostic procedure will identify the most common issues , if the cruise does not activate do this first.
Command module won't light up - check power supply, main fuse
- Cruise control won't activate - module indicator light does not change from green to red - check the brake connection and actuator cable movement using diagnostic mode. Check the mechanical cable connection has not failed/frayed.
- Check the brake lights are operational. This is one of the cruise control safety features - must detect resistance across the brake circuit.
If you have any difficulties with your cruise control installation please contact the technical support team on 08002790085
Will aftermarket cruise control affect my vehicle warranty?
No. Conrad Anderson supply and install cruise controls for most of the main dealerships in the UK, covering the vast majority of the vehicle manufacturers. We recommend that the installation is completed by an auto electrician just to put the installation beyond question. Any issue which is believed to be linked to the cruise control installation can be proved one way or the other by removing the fuse from the main cruise computer wiring loom and removing the T-Harness from the pedal.
Tools required for installation
Soldering iron & Solder
Specialist torx and other bits usually required to remove vehicle trim.
General screwdrivers and spanners
The best installations use welded bracketry, but the equipment is supplied bolt together.
Installing this cruise control for Ford Focus <2004 requires specialist mechanical knowledge and fabrication skills would be useful. See the general installation process above for an idea of what is involved - the main requirements are:
- Remove & Refit vehicle trim
- Design and fabricate/adjust bracketry
- Soldering electrical joints
- Basic 12v electrics - Using voltage meters to locate 12v switching wires
- Routing cables away from moving parts
Vehicle Changeover year
Vehicles manufactured or registered around a changeover year will need to be looked at in detail to make sure the correct version of the cruise control is selected.
If your vehicle is 2007 and listed in our website product description as 2007-2011, there could be a difference in the specification - this could be down to the following possibilities:
A 2007 registered vehicle could be a 2006 (or earlier) build year.
Vehicle manufacturers sometimes use 'hybrid' throttle pedal solutions between model changes, the vehicle may look the same but have different throttle pedal connections.
- Conrad Anderson can supply and install the STEINBAUER Performance module for this vehicle, increasing the available power and torque by 20%, please contact our sales team for information.